Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blog Post 10



Dan Brown discusses how institutionalized education has been around for many years, and that education should continue to adapt to the informational age. He explains that "if institutional education wants to survive in the information age, then institutional education needs to do more than just adopt a few new tools." Brown goes on to discuss how information, in the distant past, was quite valuable. Over time, that value has decreased because everything is free on the internet. I liked when he discussed how information in colleges is there, but only if we can pay for it. He explains that this will eventually go away, and all information will be free on the internet. In some ways, this has already happened. The question is raised, however, "what about the economy?" How will the freedom of information affect the economy? Many things that we used to have to buy separately are all available either on the internet or in other convenient uses. When we talk about small things, the economy is irrelevant. But when large scale things like education are brought up, every aspect, including the affect on the economy, positive or negative, must be considered. How this "new" education is going to affect everyone as a whole is most important. The video was going great until Brown said that he dropped out of school because "it was interfering with his education." Regardless of what the school was doing to "his" education, what will he tell his potential employer? At this point, Brown along with other dropouts with no college degree will have difficulties converting the minds of college graduates, teachers, and administrators to a "better" education. I decided to comment on the video before reading Morgan Bayda's post. I did not want anything pointing me in any particular direction. We both share similar views, especially about Brown's decision to drop out of school.





These two questions act more of an identity finder than anything. Figuring out what your question is can identify you as a person. When people try to find their question, it is often difficult for one of two reasons; they don't feel important enough, or they feel "too" accomplished. When deciding what my sentence would be, I had trouble for both of these reasons. To decide what I would write, I thought about my life and the effect I had on those around me. I consistently try to affect people in a positive way, no matter what it takes. I treat everyone the same, regardless of any discriminatory mindsets. Everything I do, or at least try to do, points to the Golden Rule.

“I always try to do what is right, following the Golden Rule, and remain a neutral party while insisting respectfully a peaceful resolve.” (Len Jenkins)

1 comment:

  1. Great job on analyzing the Open Letter to Education post. I think you were right about how Dan might have difficulty finding a job and convincing others that that is the best way to learn.

    Good post,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete