Friday, October 8, 2010

Additional Assignment 2

If learners are motivated, they can and will teach themselves. Anytime I am motivated, I consider learning fun. For a younger generation, life is all about having fun. Children can teach themselves. In fact, they begin to teach themselves before they are two years old. They start to realize that they have control over their bodies, and they use that control to their advantage. Learning is no different. Children realize they have control over how and what they learn, so they use the technology needed to accomplish anything they want to accomplish. I believe the internet is a must if children are to teach themselves. More children would use a computer, something they find puzzling and new, rather than simply reading from books, which can take longer and does not require interaction. Having this access to the internet allows the students to learn with others instead of learning from one teacher. When students can experience learning with their peers, they are more likely to enjoy what they are doing and learn more in the process. When students are faced with problems and they solve these problems, they acquire a sense of accomplishment. As they succeed in their everyday life, they are constantly looking for new ways to solve new problems. You can motivate someone to learn by showing them how much fun you are having by learning yourself. If a student sees that another student is motivated to learn and is having fun in the process, that student will almost always strive for that same motivation. I am motivated to learn by realizing that you can never learn everything. Everyone learns at least one thing new every day, but I make it a point to learn as much as possible every day. I am constantly teaching myself how to do many things. Usually, I teach myself how to use a computer effectively. Sure, I have a strong basic knowledge of the computer, and I can easily navigate around many programs, but there are still many programs that I have yet to discover for myself. I believe a teacher plays a great deal in learning. When I attended MGCCC, I had a teacher who taught a Western Civilization course. His lectures were so intriguing that I actually did research about the subject on my own time. If it was not for his great lectures, I might not have found that information interesting. Teachers tend to have the capabilities to make things interesting for students, whereas we can't always see the fun in learning ourselves. On the other hand, not all teachers are like this one. The most important thing that I heard on this video was “If there's stuff on Google, why would you need to stuff it in your head?” Many teachers expect us to know everything about the subject and be able to relay all of that information on command. Knowing that much about any subject is quite substantial, but it does not make any person smarter than another; it just makes them better at memorizing information.

No comments:

Post a Comment