Sunday, October 31, 2010

Additional Assignment 3


I think the most important thing Sir Ken Robinson discusses in this presentation is how students are getting penalized for getting distracted. There are so many distractions for students, and if the teacher cannot facilitate their interest, why should the be expected to be bored? There was nothing about the video that I disagreed with. Everything Robinson discussed was relevant and could be defended. When it comes to the college of education, there are some congruences. The design of the college has not changed much in recent years. Though a change is ongoing, the same “one teacher, boring lecture to many students” idea is still in effect, with the exception of EDM 310 of course. Students in the college of education, unlike those in grade school, are less classified by age or level. Younger students who are smart often excel at the same rate or even quicker than students that are older. Students are only held back by their own willingness to learn. To address the issues that Robinson raises, I can make more people aware of these issues though studies showing the differences. In one setting, I would have the average classroom full of students with one teacher and a boring lecture. In the other setting, I would have many students in a classroom full of technology, interacting with each other and collaborating new ideas with a fun learning process. After a time, I would evaluate each class and discuss their performance with colleagues. This would be one way to get people to open up their eyes and see that education must change to facilitate learning in the technological age. I enjoyed this presentation, especially the diagram that was drawn. It really helped to see what was going on with visual representations. If I had to do a presentation, I would most likely play the role of author. One of my passions has always been writing, and I would be content in writing a script for a presentation of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment