Sunday, November 7, 2010

Blog Post 11


Ms. Cassidy's approach to the use of technology in the classroom is very effective. She has her students blogging, creating websites, creating videos, using skype, and even using Nintendo in effective educational ways. Ms. Cassidy has everything carefully planned for the protection and eventual success of every student.

Most teachers don't want to use technology because they don't want to work harder. It's easy to simply read chapter to chapter, take the quiz at the end, and call it a day. But to take it to the next level, setting up websites and blogging for students, is much more challenging. Also, teachers may be afraid to step outside of their comfort zone. They fear that if they change their “standard” routine, thing will not turn out for the better. Some teachers may also use the “cheating vs. collaborating” excuse. As long as students do their own work and make up their own mind prior to collaborating, then it can't be considered cheating. The teacher should phrase the question in a way that forces the student to answer in his/her own words.

I would use every technique Ms. Cassidy has to offer. How my students benefited from the results of these techniques would decide if I were to keep them in the new curriculum. Any problems that occurred, I would simply fix them one at a time. I would go through whatever means necessary to modify the particular problem so that nothing like it happens ever again. The pros far outweigh the cons. Not only are the students learning more about what they will eventually need to know in the technological future, but I would be learning as well.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Len! I enjoyed reading your blog post. I completely agree with you on everything you said. Teachers are afraid sometimes to try new things, but the benefits for our students expand so much by adding technology. I too would have blogging and such things in my classroom. Ms.Cassidy is right on the money with her approach, and I think we all should benefit from her technique. Good post keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Len,

    I think you have a great perspective about the use of technology in the classroom. Ms. Cassidy does take her classroom to the next level, and her students are definitely benefiting from this change. I think she is an excellent teacher, and I hope I can also have the energy and desire to help my students succeed.

    I do not want to be the teacher you described above. I agree that many teachers are too lazy to step outside their little teacher box. If all teachers wanted change and taught like Ms. Cassidy our children would be brilliant. I want to strive to have a classroom like Ms. Cassidy's.

    I like how to discussed what you would do if you encounter a problem. I think this is great, and we should find solutions to enhance our curriculum. Like you said, "the pros far outweigh the cons. Not only are the students learning more about what they will eventually need to know in the technological future, but I would be learning as well."

    ReplyDelete